85% DISTANCE / 100% EFFORT
Performance Phase 3 is the second of three testing phases that measure the efficiency and power of a thrower's mechanics at 85% of their max throwing distance.
Performance Phase 3 begins the second of three testing phases incorporated into the USPBL Throwing Program. By design, every thrower must first master 85% of their max throwing distance before advancing to the next phase. This will ensure a thrower is truly capable of throwing at a further distance. The following criteria must be met and understood before attempting and advancing through Performance Phase 3.
- Thrower will attempt Performance Phase 3 from 85% of their max throwing distance
- All throws in Performance Phase 3 will be at 100% max intensity
- All position players will use their position specific throw
- All pitchers will throw out of their stretch or full windup
- Must be eligible to for Performance Phase 3 set forth by Soreness Protocols
- Will not exceed more than 30 total throws in Performance Phase 3
- Will take 1 minute rests between each set
PROGRESSION OF PERFORMANCE PHASE 3 (IF NOT COMPLETED)
In order to get to Performance Phase 3, a specific progression must be followed to allow the arm and body to warm-up appropriately. This is outlined in the table below:
In order to advance to the next phase, you must successfully complete 3 consecutive sets within the same performance day. Each set must be at least 70% (7/10). For greater insight on how to progress through phases, refer to Phase Advancement Criteria for Performance Phases 2-4.
PROGRESSION OF PERFORMANCE PHASE 3 (IF PREVIOUSLY COMPLETED)
Once a thrower has successfully completed Performance Phase 3, they will now only throw 5 throws at Performance Phase 2 and 5 throws at Performance Phase 3, before proceeding to Performance Phase 4.